National Grid: With thunderstorms and destructive winds in today’s weather forecast, National Grid provides safety reminders
National Grid is increasing its numbers until tonight and closely monitoring the weather forecast for upstate New York which calls for thunderstorms and high winds. In anticipation of inclement weather, National Grid teams are prepared and the company offers customers the following safety reminders:
Safety of electricity and generators
- In the event of a power failure, customers can notify National Grid online to speed up the restoration.
- Never touch downed power lines; always assume they are carrying live electricity. Disabled lines should be reported immediately to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or by calling 911.
- Generators used to provide electricity during an outage should be used outdoors to prevent the build-up ofcarbon monoxide. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from the National Grid system by turning off the main circuit breaker, located in the electrical service panel. Failure to do so could endanger our teams and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered survival equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a survival customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-6424272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home, and be sure to charge all electronics before the storm hits.
- Please use caution when driving near emergency responders and restoring crews.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors, and others who might need help during an outage.
Stay informed and connected
- Customers with active electricity accounts who text “REG” to 64743 can receive personalized alerts by text, email or phone call when we detect an outage at their premises. Customers can also send an “OUT” SMS to 64743 to report a failure.
- For real-time power outage information, online outage reports, and detailed storm safety information, visit the National Grid website.Central failure website. Customers who create an online profile can also sign up to receive email alerts.
- Visit our website: www.nationalgridus.com, follow us on Twitter and us friend on Facebook.
National grid plc published this content on June 21, 2021 and is solely responsible for the information it contains. Distributed by Public, unedited and unmodified, on June 21, 2021 04:36:07 PM UTC.