London’s Open House Festival Schedule Is Here – Check It Out
London‘s Open House Festival Schedule Is Here – Check It Out
This is the most wonderful moment of the yeeearrr…
London‘s Open House program has arrived, sending lovers of the capital into a frenzy, as they plan how many amazing venues/experiences they can pack in September.
In case you are not by the way together with Open House, it is the annual event at which buildings and spaces in Greater London – from Uxbridge to Havering, and from Enfield to Croydon – open their doors to the public. There are also walks, tours and workshops. It’s basically Glastonbury for London lovers. Except it’s free.
Whereas previously it was for a single weekend, these open days have been extended and this year the events take place from 8 to 21 September.
We are pleased to report that a revamped website makes it very easy to sift through open house events by borough, date, type of activity – even building period. For some events you will need to book (although booking is not yet open for most events). Others, you can just go there.
So, what is making our architectural antennas vibrate this year? Good EVERYTHING of it, to be honest. But at first glance of the program, here are some good tasty bites:
- Beckenham’s ‘Chinese’ garage was once an elaborate petrol station and now houses one of the most OTT Tescos in the world (September 8-21)
- Enter Temple Bar – the ancient gateway to the city (September 10, 11, 17, 18)
- Discover the art deco wonders of Surbiton (Sept 11, 18)
- See you at the brand new headquarters of the Africa Center (Sept. 15, 17)
- Cram in an original Anderson Shelter in Vauxhall (September 16, 17)
- Take a peek inside the mysterious UCL PEARL building, where real-life scenarios are tested (September 16, 17)
- See London’s 18th century cruising grounds on the Queer London 2000 Years of LGBTQ+ History Walk in the City (September 17)
- Tour the oldest funeral home in Kingston (September 17, 18)
- Marvel at Neasden’s 3D Marble Puzzle of a Hindu Temple (September 17, 18)
- Discover the beautiful wooden interiors of Oxford House in Bethnal Green (September 20)
I mean, the list goes on and on (621 events in all!). Consult the Open House Festival program now.
Last updated August 24, 2022